Whom this Document Concerns
All Users of IT infrastructure (Computers and the Network) at IIT Bombay.
Reason for Policy
This policy outlines the responsible use of the Information Technology Infrastructure at IIT Bombay.
Statement of Policy
All users of IIT Bombay will be subject to the following Acceptable Use Policy
1. [Content] I shall be responsible for all use of this network. In case I own a computer and decide to connect it to IIT Bombay network, I will be responsible for all the content on it, especially that which I make available to other users. (This provision will also apply to any computer or device for which I am responsible, and is included in the meaning of “my computer”.) In case I do not own a computer but am provided some IT resources by IIT Bombay, I will be held responsible for the content stored in the designated workspace allotted to me (examples: file storage area, web pages, stored/archived emails, on Computer Centre or Department machines).
2. [Network] I will be held responsible for all the network traffic generated by “my computer”. I understand that network capacity is a limited, shared resource. I agree that physically tampering with network connections/equipments, sending disruptive signals, or making EXCESSIVE USE of network resources is strictly prohibited. Repeated offenses of this type could result in permanent disconnection of network services. I shall not share the network connection beyond my own use and will not act as a forwarder/ masquerader for anyone else.
3. [Academic Use] I understand that the IT infrastructure at IIT Bombay is for academic use and I shall not use it for any commercial purpose or to host data services for other people or groups. Also, I shall not host or broadcast information that might harm others or may be otherwise considered objectionable or illegal as per Indian law.
4. [Identity] I shall not attempt to deceive others about my identity in electronic communications or network traffic. I will also not use IIT Bombay IT resources to threaten, intimidate, or harass others.
5. [Privacy] I will not intrude on privacy of anyone. In particular I will not try to access computers (hacking), accounts, files, or information belonging to others without their knowledge and explicit consent.
6. [Monitoring] I understand that the IT resources provided to me are subject to monitoring, with cause, as determined through consultation with the IIT Bombay administration, when applicable. The monitoring may include aggregate bandwidth usage to effectively manage limited IT resources as well as monitoring traffic content in response to a legal or law enforcement request to do so. I authorize IIT Bombay administration to perform network vulnerability and port scans on my systems, as needed, for protecting the overall integrity and efficiency of IIT Bombay network.
7. [Viruses] I shall maintain my computer on this network with current virus detection software and current updates of my operating system, and I shall attempt to keep my computer free from viruses, worms, trojans, and other similar programs.
8. [File Sharing] I shall not use the IT infrastructure to engage in any form of illegal file sharing (examples: copyrighted material, obscene material). In particular, I have noted the following:
9. [Security] I understand that I will not take any steps that endanger the security of the IIT Bombay network. Specifically, I will not attempt to bypass firewalls and access rules in place. This includes not setting up servers of any kind (examples: web, mail, proxy) that are visible to the world outside the IIT Bombay campus. In critical situations, IIT Bombay authorities reserve the right to disconnect any device or disable any account if it believed that either is involved in compromising the information security of IIT Bombay.
10. [Penalties] I understand that any use of IT infrastructure at IIT Bombay that constitutes a violation of IIT Bombay Regulations could result in administrative or disciplinary procedures.